Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 24: A mobile shop on campus, and the best ramen in Hyehwa.

One advantage I had while staying in a guesthouse rather than a school dormitory is that there is always breakfast provided. Well, it depends on how you see it actually. Because although breakfast is provided, it is the same breakfast - bread and jam/peanut butter. If you are not a picky eater, this will suffice.

But Lydia and I was bored of bread and jam one day, and we have been eyeing this breakfast from a store opposite Sungkyunkwan's school gate - Isaac Toast. Funny as it seems, we didn't want to eat bread at the guesthouse, and we are paying about 1,500KRW for bread outside. Hahah but believe me, Isaac Toast is so so good. I didn't know it's a pretty popular franchise store in Korea, but yes I realise you can find it in most places. Okay maybe not as common as Paris Baguette, or GS25, but I know there is definitely one outlet in Hyehwa, Myeongdong and Hongdae, which are pretty popular tourist attractions. So do check it out~~!


So for lunch, Okta, Jihye, Minkyeong and I met to eat (instead of the usual gang that we eat with) since we had to discuss our presentation/report that was due the following Thursday/Friday. As with all other meetups, we drift away from the topic, ate and chit chat about everything under the sun, and before we know it, time's up for the next lesson. However, I thoroughly enjoyed our chat. It felt good to be close or at least feel close to Koreans. And I'm super grateful to them for their good command of English. I am the one who is going there to study and travel, but they are the ones who are accommodating me due to my lack of ability in Korean. So anyway, we decided to meet next Monday again for the project.

After lessons, Okta wanted to get a new phone. And yes, amazingly, SKKU has a mobile shop right on campus. Fascinating isn't it? Or at least for a Singaporean. Their bookshops are amazing. They sell the prettiest jackets and T-shirts - why doesn't Singapore universities have that?!?!??!?!? But anyway, HyoEun went along as a translator and I tagged along for fun.

We had some major communication issues because Okta and I don’t speak Korean (well enough) and he doesn’t speak English well enough so thankfully we have HyoEun. Honestly glad to have met her, because she is ever so helpful and goes the way out to help Okta with her mobile phone stuff etc. And of course some issues of mine. And I think it's not just her, most Koreans are amazingly helpful, even though there are some communication barriers between us, but that didn't stop them from trying to help us. While waiting, I was browsing at some of the phone accessories, and saw this really cute Galaxy S2 home button sticker. The sales guy at the shop was so generous and he told me to take it if I like it. I totally went 진짜요??!?!??! (which translates to REALLY?!?!) So I only took this really cute one (pictures below), after which he took its matching boy sticker to paste onto his phone. Uh-oh, now we have couple stickers hahahhahahahah.


After settling all those phone issues, it was about 6pm. Okta and I decided to meet for dinner since we didn't have any dinner plans. But since it was still early, we decided to meet again at 7pm and go back to our guesthouse for a short rest. Bad choice!!! It was pouring so heavily I almost wanted to not leave my house. But then again, I succumb to hunger.

I wasn't familiar with the restaurants around Hyehwa, so Okta suggested this ramen shop that she heard was good. And imagine a rainy cold night... ramen would be the perfect comfort food to have~~~! We headed to this small restaurant tucked in a hidden corner. The place itself was small, I don't think it can accommodate more than 20 people. But this ramen was the best I have ever had in my life. Really~~~~ the soup base is so thick and good, words just cannot describe how good it is. Please do have a try if you are in Hyehwa area. The shop's name is Saga Ramen, and from their website, I see that they have an outlet in Garousil-gil and Hongdae as well, the two more popular areas. If you can understand Korean, here you go: http://sagaramen.co.kr/ 



I had this ramen twice in 4 days. That's how good it was! I'm thinking of heading back there if I can find time to do so during my next trip there.

No comments:

Post a Comment