Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day 23: Dinner at Hyehwa

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm absolutely grateful for the support to this blog. It hasn't been much but this blog finally hit its 1,000 views a few days ago. I'm sure they are tons of travel blogs around and I know myself I don't provide the best pictures, or the best directions, but I am glad I am of as much help as possible to anyone who needs it. Once again, you can always leave me a comment or email me at atthatmoment23@hotmail.com if I did not cover anything that you might be interested to know.

So, at this point in time, I realised that I have never taken a proper photo of Hyehwa, the place I spent 29 days in. Hyehwa is a nice place, although I would say if you are a tourist, this place may not be as good as Myeongdong. But if you are a tourist who wishes to experience a local life, Hyehwa is the perfect place to go. This place has lots of cafes, lots of youths (because of the university students), lots of hidden restaurants that are so so good. And in general, just a nice place to chill. You can do your shopping, spend hours talking with a friend in a pretty (though rarely quaint) cafe, or catch a movie, or sing at a noraebang!


So, I took this photo while waiting for Cheryl and Winnie to join us for dinner. It's been a while since we have full attendance. And it's been a while since the rain is not pouring hahah. So while waiting for Cheryl and Winnie at the subway exit, I decided to snap a lovely view of Hyehwa, that brought me back fond memories looking at it now.

So dinner for that day was suggested by Lydia. She has eaten here before and the food is good and cheap, as proclaimed by her. I'm not too sure what dish this is called, but it's basically pork boiled in a broth or something. It was nice in the beginning, but we got sick of that pork taste after a while.



And this is my favourite time. Whether in Yoogane for dakgalbi, or this, I just love to mix the rice together with the seaweed, whatever remaining broth, some egg, and turn this into a super delicious fried rice. I can eat this always!!!


This is the name of the restaurant. To be honest, I only know it is very near the gate of Sungkyunkwan University, tucked in one small corner. But other than that, urm, sorry I can't help much. I can give you the name in English if it helps. It is pronounced as myeong-lyun-gol.


So it started pouring halfway into our meal, what is this nonsense monsoon rain seriously!! We decided to sit down at Baskin Robbins and have icecream still, because it's been halfway into our trip, and we haven't even eaten Baskin Robbins here.


July is a bad period to be travelling in Korea. Seriously, you get the monsoon rains pouring on you, umbrellas overturning/flying out of your hands. It's frustrating enough for me (who was just leading a normal local's life) but imagine how bad it is for tourists. Most of Seoul's attractions are open-air, like the streets of Insadong, Myeongdong, Bukchon Hanok Village, Namdaemun Market, and it doesn't help to have rain. It's irritating seriously. Furthermore, towards the end of July, monsoon season disappears. (Honestly, there was a few days of good weather.) But out come the heat! The heat there is unbearable. It is X1000 more scorching than Singapore's sun, maybe because they have clear blue skies that doesn't seem to have that much clouds to help block out the sunrays. No amount of sunscreen is enough for me. I get dark still. Pffffffffffff

So my most honest opinion: Avoid July and August (the heat comes to an all-time high, glad that I didn't need to experience that) if you want to travel in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment