Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 21: A random day

Sorry it's been some time since I last updated. I was busy celebrating Lunar New Year. For those who don't already know, Lunar New Year is celebrated not only by Chinese, but by many other nationalities and races as well. For instance, Thailand and Vietnam and South Korea also celebrates the Lunar New Year. Since I am talking about Korea in this blog, I shall mention a bit about it.

In Korea, our Lunar New Year is known as 설날 (seol-lal). To be honest, I am not too sure how it is celebrated in Korea since I wasn't in Korea before during that period. But I also understand that Koreans give out money as well to the kids. In Singapore, as long as you are not married, you will continue receiving hongbao (red coloured packets) money from our elders or cousins. If you are interested, feel free to read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_New_Year

So Day 21 was just another day at school, except that I had my presentation. Presentation went pretty well because Singapore students are really well trained in presentations seriously. And especially business students. I do at least 5 presentations every semester in university, so it was an easy task for us. But my group considered of people from other nationalities as well, but we get ahead pretty okay and they were all fine with their presentation skills, from what I remember.

After school, the girls wanted to go to Gwangjang Market, which is a traditional wet market. Because of the failed trip to Namdaemun two days ago, I really had no intention to go to another wet market. Rejected their offer which I totally should not!! I am totally regretting my decision because I really really wanted to sit at the stall and start munching on my Korean food - pajeon (pancake) and kimbab (seaweed rice roll). Below is a picture of Gwangjang Market from the tourism board and if I have a chance to go back to Korea, I would totally plan this into my itinerary.


So, since I wasn't heading to Gwangjang Market, I had to settle my own dinner. After settling my dinner at the guesthouse, it was only 7pm or so. I decided I should take a walk around my neighbourhood.

I live in Hyehwa, and Hyehwa is an university area, and also a rather cultural area. What I love about Hyehwa especially was that it was more laidback, more local (you don't hear or see too many tourists around), and definitely so with the abundance of cafes and restaurants there. One nice cafe which I really wanted to visit, but subsequently it was closed down for renovation already the next time I walked past it.


I think Hyehwa is a pretty good place for you to spend half a day at. You can go cafe hopping, and in between that, go take a look at the old campus of Sungkyunkwan University (MY SCHOOL!!!). Also, one place of interest is Naksan Park. They say, it's a place whereby you can get the entire view of Seoul. (Since Hyehwa is pretty in the centre of Seoul). And besides that, there are nice murals on the way up. So throw it into your itinerary too!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment