Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 27: Cafe Culture in Korea

The days this week are getting exciting!!! :) Many cafe visits, and meetups with friends, and just chatting and talking. I wish I can return back to those days.

So we have started getting sick of food in SKKU. So... HyoEun decided to bring us outside school for lunch. We have 1.5 hours lunch break which was pretty sufficient for a good lunch. Since I ended the class and was chatting with Carlos, I decided to invite him along and he didn't mind that he would be the only guy... so yeah, everyone got to know new friends again! That's the perks of travelling. (:

So we got up to one of the highest point of SKKU, and this was the view that was right in front of us. Beautiful :) Well, at least so until we see Gamcheon Cultural Village in Busan. I will be talking about that towards the end of my trip. That's a really lovely place and I'm so going to re-visit it again! :D


So, we took this elevator down and tada~ we are out of SKKU campus. I'm amazed! Never knew that there was a hidden neighbourhood with rows and rows of restaurants and cafes right behind the school. So we decided to settle down in this Korean restaurant, and I had one of the best al-bab I have ever eaten. It is so amazing~~~~! And this for just 5,000KRW or less (cannot exactly remember)


So, after school, Jihye, Minkyeong, Okta and I met up. We have to~~!!! Our presentation was this Thursday and Day 27 was already Monday and we have nothing done yet. We were determined to finish it that day. So, I really wanted to experience the cafe culture in Seoul and especially the famous Samcheongdong cafe street. Jihye said that Samcheongdong was pretty near SKKU and we had a straight bus (No. 2 I remembered!!!) there. We got up to the highest point of SKKU after climbing numerous stairs and taking lifts and wandering around (the SKKU girls are not too sure too heheh) and we finally reached the bus terminal right on top of SKKU. Can you believe it?!?!?!? This school has a bus terminal just above it goshhh. So we hoped on the bus. I loved taking buses because it made me feel Korean. Most tourists won't know how to take a bus, neither do I if the girls weren't there. XP

Okay I took this picture off the VisitSeoul website. I have a bad habit of not taking enough pictures, because I didn't want to look like a tourist holding on to cameras. And especially so if I hang out with Koreans, because they are there often and don't snap as many pictures like I do. So upon alighting, I realised to my surprise this was the exact same place I was at when I had a solo trip to Gyeongbukgung on Day 18. I always end up at that place without knowing I am indeed there, and forever thinking that I did not manage to reach there. Amazing how I did it.


So, you can google around for Samcheongdong and you will see a thousand beautiful cafes and pictures there. We settled at this cafe called Cafe Breezin and shortly after, started to work on our project for real. We were pretty engrossed and I heard this foreigner beside us asking his Korean friend whether school is still on. It was July and I guess he was surprised why students are studying then. Not sure about Okta, but I was pretty happy to be seen as a Korean in the eyes of other foreigners.


We had a late dinner at Saga Ramen again! The SKKU girls highly recommend this place and Okta and I told them we have been there before. Nonetheless we are happy to be back because it is possibly the best ramen in Seoul hahah. We took a cab back to SKKU as we were all starving (almost 9pm) but take note that you should never board the black cab, because it is more expensive.

Day 28 - I will meet with my Singaporean friend! So excited to post about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment