Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 13: My first day of school!

Sorry I haven't been active for some time. Because it is my examinations period.

Anyway, taking a break (as if I did study much) to blog about my first day of school in SKKU.

I took Strategic Management Formulation as my morning class, and I took it alone. This course is a business module, and there was no one from my home university in business course (not that I know of). So, I was alone. But it was my core, and I am more than glad to clear it. Subsequently, I got to know a few other SIM students, even though I wasn't close with them, but glad to hear Singlish around in the class. :P

Anyway, we had a group presentation to do, and we were allocated into our groups. So thankful I don't need to find my own groupmates, if not it's gonna be so awkward for meeeeeeee. We were a pretty international class - I thought we had quite a lot of balance in terms of nationality already. For your information, there were A LOT of Singaporeans going for SKKU ISS program. Hundreds and hundreds. From SIM and NTU, I heard there were at least 200 each. And even though I wanted some comfort and thus some Singaporean friends around, I did not come to Korea to hang out with Singaporeans again. So I was so glad that we had a pretty good ratio in the morning class.

My morning class ended very early that day. Only an hour long instead of the scheduled 2.5 hours because it is the first lesson. Since I was so early, I decided to take a walk and snap some photos of my school compound. I love the 600 years old campus and all the rustic feel.




Jenny and I then met (because our classes were in the same building) and contacted Lydia (who was in another building) for lunch. She brought along some friends who she had met in her morning class, which are mainly HyoEun and Oktavia. Mainly meaning those that we met for the next three weeks of school. HyoEun was the first Korean girl that I met as I have mentioned earlier. And Oktavia is a lady studying in Netherlands but she is an Indonesian. Okta is an amazing lady! She is 27 but looks just like us, plus she has so much life experiences and stories to share, because she left Indonesia on her own to study in Netherlands when she was just a teenager.

Best thing, I realised that Oktavia is in the same afternoon class as me!!!! We went together to class after lunch and were grouped with two very awesome Korean ladies for presentation and group work. The professor was an American who is teaching in SKKU and the class was "Poverty, Inequality, and Economic Growth". It was something like a mix of history lesson and geography lesson, but I personally find it rather interesting. (Though I always fell asleep when he played videos, because we had such a good lunch in the school canteen everytime.) Jihye and Minkyeong spoke pretty good English for a Korean, and in addition to that, Jihye speaks Mandarin too, because she lived in China for a few years.

For dinner, Jenny and I met to explore the other side of Hyehwa, which was equally happening and had lots of nice cafes which we swore we had to visit (but didn't manage to find time to). We passed by this classy looking restaurant and it serves Chinese food, and we kind of crave for it because it has been Korean food everyday for so long. Food there wasn't as cheap (around 10k won) but it was once in a while plus it was pretty good.


No comments:

Post a Comment