Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 4: Onwards to Seoul

I was so happy to be going to Seoul. Jeju was fun, but transportation wise and entertainment wise, it was lacking. Of course I didn't go to Jeju for shopping, it was a nature and sightseeing place, and I kind of strongly recommend it actually.

So, first thing after arriving back at Gimpo Airport was to find our guesthouse. I was carrying a huge 17kg luggage and it was really no joke for 2 short girls. I booked I-House at Myeongdong because of its convenient location, but alas, the subway stations with their stairs was such a huge problem. We also didn't realise that the AREX card we bought at Gimpo Airport, wasn't the same as those we use for subways. Once you tap out of the AREX line at Seoul Station, you have to purchase the normal subway passes, even though though they're linked. Weird. Either that, or you can get T-money, which I will mention later.

Our guesthouse, I-house, is a relatively new guesthouse located about 10 minutes away from Myeongdong. This was the room that I stayed in, and I booked it via AirBnB. (Website: https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/959795) The room looked exactly the same when I stepped in, although the place itself might not be that easy to find. It was one of the best guesthouses I have stayed in, clean, cozy and just so awesome. Except one thing - it was located on a steep slope. And by steep, I really meant steep. I really loved the place but similarly glad to move out after 4 nights - my legs were giving way already. But if I were to go back again, I might very well head back to I-house. James, the owner, also spoke perfect English, so it helped a lot, and we also met a Singaporean family there.


After settling down and stuff, we decided to go for some lunch. Yoogane (유가네) immediately came into mind because I have been anticipating this for the longest time ever. Basically, Yoogane serves dakgalbi (닭갈비), which is stir-fried spicy marinated chicken. It comes with lots of cabbage, potatoes, and tteokbokki (떡벅이).


I am such a carbo person, so I cannot do without rice. Usually, I will order rice to go along with dakgalbi, but if you like, there is always ramen, or udon as well. Shan and I had chicken with octopus that day. Both were good, and the spiciness level was within our limit (though we drank a lot of water). The good thing about Yoogane was that it is more tourist-friendly, and there are English menus and servers know simple English. Also, you don't have to do anything at all! Servers will be going around helping you to cook your dish, so just sit back and relax. Aprons are available if you are still worried about staining your clothes. Best of all, Yoogane serves the best dakgalbi in my opinion.


After lunch, we decided to go to COEX Aquarium. Shan and I learnt our lessons that after a flight and dragging heavy luggages and settling down, it wasn't that wise to head for a long day of activities. We wanted something slow-paced and relaxing, so the aquarium came into our mind.

Directions: Take the subway to Samseong Subway Station. Follow the sign towards COEX mall, which is an underground shopping mall connected from Samseong Subway Station all the way to COEX Aquarium.

COEX Aquarium, terribly disappointed me and Shan. We reached to find out that it was a kids' heaven, parents and kids were EVERYWHERE. Also probably because we have no interest in fishes at all. I ended up spending almost an hour before I took a picture of the cute stingray. We spent slightly more than an hour there, but I would say, unless you really really love these underwater sea creatures or are around with kids (kids love this place), skip the aquarium. There was a Kimchi Museum nearby which looked more interesting, but we didn't have a chance to go in. Oh yes, and COEX mall was also under renovation then so I have no comments about it.


We then decided to go to Apgujeong / Gangnam area hoping to find some entertainment agencies there. We totally alighted at the wrong stop, so despite asking some passers-by, we could not figure our way around. (Stay tuned to later entries for entertainment agencies.) We then decided to head to Hangang Park earlier.

As far as I know, there are 8 bridges across the Hangang River, but the most famous or prettiest one has to be the Rainbow Banpo Bridge. Banpo Bridge Rainbow Fountain is the world’s longest bridge fountain. At night, 200 lights illuminate the fountain as it sends up dancing, rainbow-colored jets of water in the air in synchronization with music.

Directions: Alight at Express Bus Terminal Subway Station [고속터미널역] Turn right out from exit 8-1. Take a 180 degrees turn and turn left again at the first junction. You will be walking alongside some apartment buildings and it looks as if you entered some residential area. You're not wrong!! Just continue walking straight down, you will also pass by a park. At the end of the road (after 5-10 minutes or so of walking), you will find a path beyond the parking, follow this to the right for another 50 meters or so. You will see a tunnel on your left; go through it and you will be in Hangang Park, which leads directly to Banpo Bridge.

Hangang Park is an awesome place for you to relax and chit-chat with your friends. Many families were there having picnics too. (Koreans seem to really love picnics). There are specific timings for the lighting of the LED fountain, and they change depending on the months and days, so do check it out before heading there. I would say the best timing to catch it is about 8.30pm if you're heading there in end June/July. At 8pm, Korea's sky is also starting to turn dark. There is a large area for you to sit down but Shan and I chose to swing our legs right at the edge, which means the river was right below our feet!! You can also order fried chicken and delivery right there (if you know Korean) so don't worry about starving. Otherwise, get your food before coming because there isn't any food sold in the near vicinity.


Last but not least, I just had to talk about one of the most basic yet important things you have to get upon reaching Seoul - T-money. T-money works like our Singapore's EZ-LINK card. Basically, it is a transportation card that allows you to board buses and subways just by tapping. T-money are sold in all GS25 and most other convenience stores. A simple T-money card costs you 2,500won (with 0 credits inside, so you have to top-up/recharge the card upon buying). T-money is also available in the form of handphone straps and in different shapes and sizes. Look at mine!! I got mine in Rilakkuma and it is so convenient after I hanged it onto my phone (because I hold on to my phone practically every moment). They also have it in Hello Kitty and Angry Birds, but I think Rilakkuma is much more expensive at 8,000won. For me, I didn't mind because it doubles up as an accessory - it's still on my phone now!


I'm hoping I have a chance to be using it again the next time I go back to Korea, which I am not sure when.

No comments:

Post a Comment