Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 3: Wonders of Jeju

Before travelling to Jeju/Korea or in fact any other foreign country, the smart thing (and a rather mandatory thing) to do is to research beforehand. And from my research, I realised that Jeju has no subway system and the modes of transportation there are mainly buses or taxis. Taxis are easily available in the city area but I wouldn't really know how available it is if you end up in some attractions far from the city. To be safe, me and Shan thought that hiring a taxi for the full day is a better idea.

If you are interested in hiring a taxi in Jeju, this is the contact of the driver I had: 

Mr Moon Young Sam
(+82) 010-3203-1719
moonys1719@naver.com

By the way, I booked Mr. Moon at 120,000won for 9 hours (9am - 6pm) but I think their rates do fluctuate depending on whether it is peak period.

And, the thing is I actually booked Mr. Han but 12 hours before the taxi tour, Mr. Han emailed me saying he was not free but he had already arranged his friend, Mr. Moon, to bring us around. Honestly speaking, I wasn't very pleased with Mr. Han's attitude. Informing us at the very last minute wasn't a really pleasant thing to do, and in addition, we bumped into him bringing another group of people around. His perfect excuse of being not free. Anyway, Mr. Moon arrived at the doorstep of our guesthouse 10 minutes before 9am. He then discussed with us the various locations which we wanted to visit (we emailed Mr. Han a week before) and planned the route for us well. 

The weather forecast said that it might be raining that day, so me and Shan decided to wear our sandals out because it will be so uncomfortable walking around in damp shoes. Mr. Moon noticed that we weren't wearing covered shoes and insisted we went back to change. I didn't understand why, but he was pretty insistent, so we did change anyway. It then started drizzling not long after, and Mr. Moon stopped by a convenience store, and we thought he needed the restroom or something, but he came back with ponchos for us. We were so touched, really.

Our first stop was the Manjanggul Cave. Manjanggul Cave (만장굴) is one of the finest lava tunnels in the world, and is a designated natural monument. Only 1km of the Manjanggul Cave is open to the tourists. The inside of the tunnel sustains at a temperature of 11~21℃, creating a comfortable atmosphere.

Upon reaching, Mr. Moon went ahead to buy the entrance tickets for us, and took some photos for us. He then handled us the ponchos to wear, because it was drizzling, and also because he said that water will drip from the top of the cave. I have realised that anything that requires entrance fee, Mr. Moon will not come with us. I guess it is right too, doesn't make sense to spend more money.

So Shan and I headed off into our first destination alone. Oh yes, Mr. Moon also brought a torchlight for us because it was really dim at some point in time. The path was uneven too, so it is better to lit the path with a torchlight. The ground was also damp at some point in time and yes, water was dripping from the top of the cave. It was freezing cold, something like 15°C I feel, but it was a wholenew experience. You don't get to see such things in Singapore, all those nice lava tubes. Some people find it too dark to see anything, but I found it impressive instead. At the end of the 1km, you get to see this impressive lava formation.


Our second stop was Maze Park. Maze Land is a themed park boasting the world’s longest stone maze, measuring roughly 5.3km in total length. The maze is made mainly using stone and wood found on Jeju. As far as I know, there are two such parks in Jeju, the Maze Land and the Gimyeong Maze Park. The maze land I went was also the one that Running Man went to in one of their episodes.

Personally, if you would take the map and look at it, you will realise there is only one path out at all times. (And I will not spoil the fun by telling you the path.) Shan and I felt that it was pretty stupid and lame, because you just keep walking and walking and you will reach. There was no twists and turns at all. Well, if you like the fun, maybe keep the map aside, and somehow you might get lost, and you will find it more fun? Shan and I wanted to try separate ways to see who got there first, but we didn't want to get lost and anyway, we both found out that there was only one way out, and we didn't want to walk around thinking there might be another way out.

You have to head to the end and ring the bell here. Of course not this big bell. There is a smaller bell. I think it meant something like your wish will come true, or you will have a smooth life or something. Hahah I don't usually pay attention to such things, but I would do it still. 


Next was Seokjikoji Coast before it was time for lunch. Seopjikoji is located at the end of the eastern shore of Jeju-do Island. It boasts of beautiful views and also a lighthouse at the end. I wonder what's with lighthouses seriously. The waves were strong that day, and Seokjikoji looked lovely. We cannot help but be amazed by nature. Jeju is a rather well-preserved place where you get to see nature at its close-to-best form. The scenery there was good, and you could also get a horse-riding session if you would like. The horses really stink though, I am not keen to go near there, let alone ride them.


Lunch was at a restaurant which Mr. Moon brought us to. It was located at the bottom of Seongsan Ilchulbong. Sadly, I do not have the name of the restaurant. I believe that taxi drivers usually have commission when they bring us to such restaurants, and I don't really care about spending a dollar or two more than other restaurants, as long as it's good. And the one Mr. Moon brought us to, was.

I already mentioned way before that I wanted to have sea urchin soup and abalone porridge for lunch. And when Mr. Moon brought us here, I wanted to have those two plus an additional pajeon. Mr. Moon stopped us, saying it will be too much for two, so you see, he isn't all about getting the commission. He then made sure we settle down well, before going to settle his own lunch. Do note that for most drivers, they will require you to pay for their lunch expenses as well, and it is only polite for you to do so, but despite us asking, Mr. Moon refused to accept our offer.

The side dishes were one of the best I have ever eaten. I have been looking to find this same tofu side dishes everywhere, but failed to. The seaweed had the taste of the sea still, so you can see how fresh it really was. Abalone porridge and sea urchin soup was up in no time, and Shan enjoyed her abalone porridge albeit it being a little bland. My sea urchin soup on the other hand was flavourful, but there were too much seaweed in the soup that I couldn't taste the sweetness of the sea urchin. Nevertheless, both were nice and I had to say that abalone and sea urchin in both portions were pretty generous!


After lunch, we decided to do some exercise and we arrived at Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak to climb the hill. I really wanted to come over at sunrise but it wasn't very convenient to do so. Anyway, the view in the daytime was also magnificent. It was no doubt tiring climbing the hill. Mr. Moon told us most people will ususally take about an hour to climb up and down. But Shan and I decided to brisk walk up, and slowly walk down. I ran out of energy after 10 minutes, and I think we took 15 minutes to get up, and 20 minutes to get down. We took the photos on the way down, because whilst on the way up, the only thing I could think of was rest and water.



The last bit of our trip was Jeongbang Falls. We scheduled the folk village at first, but I wasn't that interested in it, and we cannot leave Jeju without seeing one of its three best waterfalls. Jeongbang Falls (정방폭포) is only water fall in Asia that falls directly into the ocean. I heard about its beauty and how people raved about it, so after much deliberation, we decided to change our schedule to head there.

It was SO WORTH IT. I did not have a full picture of the waterfall but it was not easy at all getting there. There was this exceptionally high rock where Mr. Moon told us we had to sit up there for the most exceptional tourist view, and I was wondering how is that possible. The rock was about twice my height and we got to step on the slightly flatter surfaces to get up. What a struggle! But the pictures were really good. You become the focus and all the many passer-bys look like ants heheh.



Get what I mean whereby you become the main focus and the rest of them are like ants? Actually for most of my picture, I couldn't even see anyone else. This is how good this rock is. But be careful while climbing it!! It can be really dangerous!! Getting up is one thing, coming down is another problem hahah.


The rocks here were sharp and slippery and I finally understood why Mr. Moon made us wear covered shoes. Most of our attractions had rocks that could easily cut, or uneven paths who could be dangerous, so covered shoes are an essential!! 


On the way back, we passed by this horse-ranching field. And Mr. Moon stopped to let us see the horses. They were really good though they stink much, but how many such chances do you have, to stop your car at the middle of the road, and come by to look at horses? We snapped some photos with the lovely horses before proceeding back to our guesthouse.



All in all, Mr. Moon's English wasn't perfect (I haven't met Koreans who had perfect English). He had the sort of elementary school English but with some sign language, it was possible to understand. And he was friendly and also tried his best to help us, so thank you Mr. Moon for an amazing day and letting us understand Jeju better!

1 comment:

  1. Hi would like to recommend 2 drivers whom I have engaged for my 2013 & 2015 trip.

    http://airfne.com/listing/korea-lee-hongmin-ko-soon-tae/

    http://airfne.com/listing/korea-mr-xuan-玄庸昊/

    ReplyDelete