Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 9: SKKU Orientation and my first Korean friend

Lydia and I woke up early for orientation day. To be honest, I had a pretty good sleep. I have had pretty good sleeps throughout my entire trip in Korea. Amazingly. But I sleep really well though, everywhere. I remember my holidays in Taiwan and how I love the bed so much. I am, however, really picky about bathrooms/toilets. It was hard adapting to the bathroom in my guesthouse because of the small confined space. And I think I am so thankful to book a room that has attached bathroom.


Anyway, we reached school for our ISS. Met Jenny below her dormitory and walked over together. It was our daily routine since we had to walk past it anyway. Actually, I always thought that there will be a shorter route, but heck it, walking is good anyway. Sometimes, I take even longer routes back.

First up was a traditional Korean music performance. There were a few other performances and talks scheduled but as usual, people don't really care. I quite look forward to the lunch reception though, and we also had a walk around the school's 600-years-old campus. And it was there where I met my first Korean friend everrrrrrrrr.

To be honest, everyone learning a new language would always love to meet the locals there. I was fascinated with Korean language, and of course, fascinated at the idea of meeting Koreans, and having the native Korean friends. So here comes the first...

Because she was an English major herself, so communication wasn't that hard. Of course, there are times whereby we don't understand each other too. I've also learnt to articulate my words better and unknowingly pick up some English accent (maybe American/British/both/neither) otherwise Koreans usually cannot understand us. Don't get me wrong. I love speaking Singlish still, it feels so familiar, but then again, I think there are times where appropriate and good English should take over too.

It's amazing how friendships develop. It's nearly 4 months since I got to know HyoEun. And even though we are now separated, we still try to keep in contact via Kakaotalk and FB. And I'll definitely go back to Korea someday, and I'm still waiting to bring this woman around Singapore if she ever comes. A shoutout to HyoEun, thank you for everything that you have done for us while we were there!!


No comments:

Post a Comment